Sunday, October 23, 2011

Urban Numina The Movie: Mel and Jenna - friendship and rivalry

Apologies for not updating the blog as of late. There has been a lot going on in the background, and it has kept me kind of busy.

The latest news is that I have been accepted into an emerging artists screenwriting workshop, and so I've been putting my efforts into getting prepared for that. I've also been working hard on the Make My Movie pitching to try and get more votes.

My most recent rewrites have been focused on fleshing out the relationship between Mel and Jenna. During the events of Devon's day out with Deus, Jenna returns to the flat and reveals to Mel that she might be able to provide insight into who Deus is.

Mel, who is looking for an excuse to skip completing her assignment decides to take advantage of the situation.

The key to the scenes that will follow is to show Mel and Jenna's relationship and why they are rivals. Mel actively and openly dislikes Jenna, but Jenna seems to refuse to give in on her attempts at friendship.

The trick of the scene is to avoid making either character unappealing. We have to like both Jenna and Mel, but also be drawn into their rivalry. It needs to be clear why Mel dislikes Jenna, but also see how Jenna could be seen to be a nice person.

It's a difficult balance to strike - and has been the focus of much work for me recently.

Here's hoping it continues to come together.

Make My Movie Tally
We are currently around 261 votes. Don't forget to keep spreading word about the film. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment