Sunday, October 9, 2011

Urban Numina The Movie: Make My Movie and Time

I have been living and breathing Make My Movie for the last few weeks. Obsessively following the number of votes the movie has been getting, working through the script and planning ahead.

Because time is going to be a bigger challenge than the budget for this film. In the event of Urban Numina winning the competition, we have effectively the months of February and March to make the film.

That is a *very* short time to make a movie in, and if you aren't prepared, it could go horribly wrong.

So as I'm rewriting the script I am also thinking about how I intend to shoot the scene.

Given the tight deadline, it will be important to be prepared early so that if we win, we can just leap straight into shot planning and locking down locations.

One of the key things to plan is how we will shoot the film. I'm hoping that once the script is complete I can schedule it into a 5-7 day shoot. This is an ambitious plan, and one I expect will change once I have completed the script. This is where an experienced producer will be invaluable, to help work out the schedules - I expect that once we have planned it out, we'll be looking at around two weeks with maybe two days break.

The thing to remember is that while this is a low budget project, cast and crew are going to need to be paid, and they are going to need reasonable shoot schedules.

Because Urban Numina will have some special effects, my plan is that the first shoots at each location will be FX shots. This allows us to then get those shots to the VFX team to work on while we continue to shoot the rest of the location shots.

Ideally by the time we have finished principle photography, the VFX team will be well underway with their work. Of course when I say "they" it is most likely that the VFX team will consist of one or two people.

After this round of rewrites I plan to go back through the script with more of a "producer's eye" where I'll be asking "do I need this extra character in this scene?" or "can I do this scene with using an elaborate special effect?" I'll also be making some basic shot notes about how I visualise the scene. Is there too much talking? Is it compelling enough? Are we learning any thing about the plot or characters? If not, is it funny enough?

Even though Urban Numina hasn't won the competition yet, it pays to be thinking about what to do if we win. So I'm planning and thinking about these things while touching up the script. The big benefit is that if we get into the top twelve, I'll be set to seek out a producer and start planning and the script will not only be complete, but have had two rewrites and be a much more polished script heading into the final round of the competition.

I'm quietly confident that Urban Numina has what it takes to make it all the way. And with this amount of planning, we will be ready to roll the minute the paperwork is filled out. ;)

Make My Movie Tally
As of today's post, the tally now sits at 245 votes! :)

Keep the votes rolling in! We're seriously gaining ground here. :D

http://www.makemymovie.co.nz/entry/urban-numina

Conan

No comments:

Post a Comment