Sunday, April 3, 2011

Casting: Putting out a casting call

With the first drafts of the series now completed, it's now that things get complex. Making a web series is not about one step after the other - eventually a producer, much like a professional juggler, has to start throwing more than one ball up into the air.

Once you have your scripts ready, you need to begin planning *how* you intend to shoot your series and also start gathering your cast.

Fortunately, I already have three roles effectively cast. Mel, Andrea and Carey. I'll still be asking the actors to do a screen test of the character so that I can get a feel for how they intend to play their character, but the roles were effectively written for these three.

But I still have four roles to fill, and they are all central roles to the show. The plan here will be to put out casting calls, hold auditions and once I have my full cast we will be doing workshops to improve the comedy of the script to match the actors.

But how do you put together a casting call? First, find somewhere that will allow you to post them. There are a lot of great sites these days for putting up casting calls.


These are two New Zealand based sites that I have chosen to advertise on.

A more international service for small productions is Spidvid but I have very limited knowledge about it's effectiveness. Do a google search, and ask around local theatre groups. Ideally, the more places you put your call up, the more responses you are likely to get.


But how do you put together a casting call?

Keep It Brief

There is a temptation to go into great detail when putting up a casting call. What you need to do is give actors enough information to pique their interest and get a feel for the character, but not so much as to lock them into a performance that will feel unnatural to them.

Most of my advice focuses around this. Do not make the mistake of trying to mould the actor into the role. The trick is to find the point where the actor's interpretation and your vision come together to create a living character. In order to do this, you need to give the actors enough freedom to interpret the role and enough direction to know where they need to be focusing.

I tend to pick key words that define the core of the character and a few lines about how I see that character being played. Beyond that, it's too much at this early stage. Part of the process is developing the character with the actor rather than just saying "your character must be played like this..."

Be clear about expectations

As you will note in the ads, I'm upfront about Devon and Deus being shirtless. The opening scene of the series has Deus showing up naked, and actors need to know when that is expected. Now my plan is to shoot the scene so that the nudity is implied rather than shown - so the actor will be wearing shorts and we'll be shooting only above the waist and a shot of his legs - but no actual nudity.

However, this does need to be known. Also, I have tried to be clear that this is a comedic show and actors will need to have some comedic timing. This isn't so central, as we can build on timing issues - but again, it helps to give them an idea as to what tone is going to be expected when they audition.

Don't be too limiting

Now despite all that, I need to stress that you can't be too limiting in a casting call. I generally avoid mentioning ethnicity or body type because I like to see who shows up and what kind of performance they bring with them. Deus could be muscular, athletic, slim, European, Samoan, Chinese...

You do need some limitations - Deus and Urge need to be physically fit and attractive - and if this was a story about a Danish family, obviously I would be looking for people who can look and act as if they were Danish. But in regards to these characters, I'm wanting to keep things open. I'm wanting to be surprised by the people who apply, and give them an opportunity to show me their take on these characters. Because there will be improv and workshop sessions to develop the characters further, I need to be seeing people who can show creativity and initiative in their roles but who can still take direction.

So now it is simply a matter of waiting for the applications to come in.

Next: Auditions

Conan

No comments:

Post a Comment